Monday, 1 December 2014

84 Charing Cross Road, London, England

84 Charing Cross Road, London, England
At 84 Charing Cross Road, London. Thank you, Helene Hanff.
I read the book many, many years ago, the copy of which I still have in my library in the Philippines. One New Year's Eve in England, we finally saw the film and it made me fall in love with London, antiquarian books (that peculiar taste) and Helene Hanff’s writing all over again. The film left me very sad but made me appreciate the fact that what I’ve always longed for, I now have. In 2006, a year after I first came to England, we went on a trip to Charing Cross to look for number 84. All that will make you recognise the place is the plaque. It reads, “84 Charing Cross Road the booksellers Marks & Co. were on this site which became world renowned through the book by Helene Hanff.” I remember that Helene died poor, I guess, owing to her generosity, but she had found what our kind would go looking for: “the England of English literature.”

Please contact The Gaslight House if you'd like to use this article and image/s.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.