Wednesday, 16 November 2016

The Smurfs – The Graphic Novels


Walder_image from Smurfs Anthology 1 The Graphic Novels
image from Smurfs Anthology 1 The Graphic Novels
My husband and I take turns reading to our six-year-old at night. One of the books we are reading is Smurfs Anthology 1 (The Graphic Novels). I wondered if J.K. Rowling also read The Smurfs after I read this story that starts with Gargamel planning transmuting metals into gold and mentioning the philosopher’s stone and mandrakes in the same scene (read his monologue in the picture). The Smurfs is one of those stories that were made popular worldwide by television (at least from my point of view who knew them on TV). When I was a child there was no one to tell me that they first appeared in print (comics). And as Peyo, who created them, is not of the current generation, I’m not surprised he’s not as famous as, e.g., J.K. Rowling, though I wish he was.

Walder_My daughter at Moof (Museum of Original Figurines) in Brussels, Belgium back in August, 2015
My daughter at Moof (Museum of Original Figurines) in
Brussels, Belgium back in August, 2015
I remember my childhood in the late '80s and back then we were not allowed to watch television whenever we liked and in that large, confined lot where we left our doors open and anyone would come and go as they pleased, the children in the neighbourhood (most of whom were also my cousins), would call for every child whenever something interesting was on the telly and we would all watch together. In a way we were monitoring what each of us watched, at the same time saving electricity. Oh we watched a lot of children’s programmes together, Astroboy, Plastic Man, The Smurfs, Superfriends, Batibot (never Sesame Street, I don’t know why), Mighty Man and Yukk and a whole lot more.

Both my husband and I loved Smurfs as children, even if we grew up in two different countries. I’m a bit late in reading the graphic novels but in a way I’m glad, I think I appreciate the humour more as an adult. And it's lovely to discover them now with my daughter, and later with my son. My daughter is so crazy about the characters, the cartoon, the films and the books. And I’m sure she will feel the same decades from now.
Walder_image from Smurfs Anthology 1 The Graphic Novels
image from Smurfs Anthology 1 The Graphic Novels
Please contact The Gaslight House if you'd like to use this article and image/s.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.