Saturday, 10 December 2016

Children's books on youtube: Blueberry Girl


Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman signed book badger
In August 2013, I finally met the evasive Neil Gaiman. I say "evasive" because the first time he visited the Philippines in 2005, I was busy preparing for my trip to Norway that I couldn't go. He went on to visit my home country a few more times and I wasn't there. My account of that first meeting, in Oxford, and the pictures shown here first appeared on Fine Books and Collections in 2013. It was a magical night and I don't want to sound repetitive so I'll just post a link to the article here.

Neil Gaiman book-signing in Oxford, 2013

I asked him to sign some books, including my daughter's hardback edition of Blueberry Girl. He talked about so many things that night, including The Wind in the Willows and, as our family is also a huge fan of the book, I requested that he doodle a badger for my little girl.







Gaiman wrote Blueberry Girl for his goddaughter Tash, daughter of his friend Tori Amos. We love his reading of it in a video posted on youtube. The animation is amazing and every time I turn the pages of our copy, I have this fervent wish that the pages would come alive like in this video.

Please contact The Gaslight House if you'd like to use this article and image/s. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.